That chill in the air is back; and you are getting ready to get your winter clothes out of storage and to the dry cleaners. You are also looking forward to bowls of piping hot soup and cups of tea.
But this is also the time when you have to take a little extra care of your skin, because the winter winds might feel nice, but they are not necessarily good for your skin. The cold air will actually steal away the natural moisture of your skin, which is normally why, during the winter months, you will feel your skin becoming dry and itchy.
However, if you just make a few changes in your regular skin care routine, it will become the most appropriate winter skin care routine. Here are our top 10 tips to ensure that your skin is still glowing and healthy, even during the winters:
- Skip the hot water showers – We understand that standing under the hot shower feels so good during those cold winter days, but when you use really hot water, you are actually stripping your body of the natural oils it has. When that happens, your skin becomes dry and even flaky. Warm water is your best friend and it is best that you use only lukewarm and maybe slightly warmer than that for your bath.
- Cleanse your skin regulary – It might feel like your skin is not dirty or it's not sweat laced, but you still need to ensure that you wash your face at least twice a day. Ideally, you should start your day by washing your face and when you are done with the day, wash your face once again to remove all product and allow your skin to breathe. But do remember to use lukewarm water and not hot water.
- Time to change your cleanser – You might have been using your favourite brand of face cleanser, but during the winter months, it might be better to change out to something that is more on the moisturising side. Even if you have oily skin, you will want to choose a moisturising face wash, because your skin will need all the moisture it can get.
Add some special ingredients to your routine – There are some ingredients, which should become a part of your daily winter skincare routine.Squalane ,hyaluronic acid,vitamin C,retinol or preferably its plant-based counterpart,bakuchiol,should all become part of our skincare regimen.
- Squalane is a powerful antioxidant that helps in the natural lubrication and hydration of the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid is another ingredient that can help retain moisture in the skin and is a good ingredient to have in your winter skin care arsenal.
- During the winter months, adding vitamin C to your skin care would also be a good idea, because the antioxidant nature can retain moisture and also protect the skin from harmful pollutants.
- Unlike retinol, which is normally used only during the nights, bakuchiol is much gentler on the skin, which means that it can be used in the morning and night. This too can help increase the turnover of your skin cells, giving you healthier looking skin.
- Keep the fragrance in your perfume bottle – Although it is never a good idea to use products that have artificial fragrances or perfumes in them, but your winter skin care products should most definitely not have any such ingredients. They can strip the skin of natural hydration and lead to your skin feeling dry, itchy and flaky. It is best that you stick to products that have carefully chosen ingredients, including ayurvedic ones.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen – Yes, the sun feels nice on your skin, and the sun doesn’t feel as harsh as it normally does, but that is no reason for you to skip your sunscreen. Keep your sunscreen close and part of your daily winter skincare routine, even during the cold days. If you are planning to step out of the house, then you need to make sure that you apply a generous amount of sunscreen.
- Exfoliate with care – Just because you are not sweating as much or you feel that your skin is not feeling as greasy, does not mean that you leave your exfoliation to once a week. There is going to be product buildup on your skin and when you exfoliate, you are removing not only the buildup and dead skin cells, but also revealing healthier skin.
- Keep your pout pouty – If you have noticed, during the winter months, your lips also get extremely dry and chapped. Licking your lips might provide instant relief, but the salt in your saliva will only aggravate the problem. Before you know it, your lips might reach the peeling and bleeding stage. Avoid that, by investing in a really good lip treatment product like the Dewy Lip Treatment, which will hydrate, nourish and protect your lips, especially during those cold winter days.
- Watch what you eat – It is important to remember that your winter skin care routine is not just about what you put on your face, it is also about what you put into your body. During the winters, pile up on the vegetable soups, salads and fruits, because they will all nourish your body from within and give you the kind of glowing skin that you want!
- Keep your water bottle handy – The chances of you feeling thirsty during the winter months might be less, but it is imperative that you continue to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water, each day. When there is sufficient hydration in the body, it will show on your skin too!
The easiest way to keep your skin healthy and glowing during the winter months would be to stock up on the indē wild winter skincare essentials – your bottle of AM Sunrise Glow Serum, PM Sunset Restore Serum and Dewy Lip Treatment and you are pretty much sorted!