Although Vitamin C has been around for a long time, there is a brand-new buzz about it of late, because more and more people are realising how beneficial it is. Now, before you to decide to jump onto the bandwagon, wouldn’t it be prudent to learn a little more about this wonderous ingredient?
Let’s start with what exactly is Vitamin C:
Also known as ascorbic acid, vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that can be found quite easily in certain natural foods. Within the body, it is needed for the biosynthesis of collagen, which is what keeps skin looking young and plump. You also need vitamin C for hair and skin because it has antioxidant properties and keep your body looking younger for longer!
Why is Vitamin C becoming so loved in the world of skin care:
Backed by science, Vitamin C is fast becoming a beloved ingredient of dermatologists all over the globe and this is because this ingredient is truly magical. It can work wonders for your skin, if used in the right amount, right concentration and of course, right method. Being a potent antioxidant, it can help fight harmful free radicals, allowing your skin the protection it needs against pollution and normal bodily processes, such as metabolism.
Here are just some of the benefits of Vitamin C:
- Let’s start with the fact that vitamin C works for all skin types – whether you have dry or oily skin or even sensitive skin, vitamin C, particularly in serum form, will work on all of them. It has been noticed that concentrations of above 20% could cause minor irritation to the skin, which is why most formulations, including the one we offer at indē wild have a 15% concentration.
- One of the biggest benefits of Vitamin C has to be the fact that it can help reduce hyperpigmentation – this is possible because vitamin C can help impede the production of melanin in the body. Whether your skin is troubled by sunspots, age spots or just general acne, a good quality vitamin C serum, like our AM Sunrise Glow Serum, should be able to tackle it all.
- When the spots that could have been caused due to sunspots, age spots or hyperpigmentation start to fade away, you will start to see skin that is a lot more even. Because vitamin C can neutralise the effects of the free radicals, it can also help reduce redness and give you skin that is smooth and a more even complexion.
- Another one of the vitamin C benefits for skin would be the fact that it can help brighten your skin naturally – once the pigmentation on your skin starts to fade away, you will see that the skin that sits just beneath is brighter and smoother. This is also possible because vitamin C can hamper the production of melanin, giving your visibly brighter skin.
- Although the depletion of collagen over time is a natural process, regular use of Vitamin C can help with the same – when you use it on a daily basis, it can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and the first signs of wrinkles. It would be a good idea to include some extra vitamin C in your diet too, because the two-way approach is better when it comes to collagen production!
- One of the main reasons why you will want to use vitamin c serum for dry skin is because it is highly hydrating in nature. It is known to reduce TEWL or transepidermal water loss, which will allow you skin to absorb moisture better and that will give your skin the hydration it needs.
- Perhaps the biggest benefit of using vitamin C in your skin care routine is the fact that it can protect your skin against sun damage and can even help with repairing it.
How does one use a vitamin C serum:
Using a Vitamin C serum for skin is actually easy, especially when you have our AM Sunrise Glow Serum with 15% vitamin C; however, if you are concerned, you might want to do a patch test first. Apply a small amount on your inner arm and wait 24 hours to see if there are any reactions. If not, then all you need to do is wash your face with a gentle cleanser in the morning and then apply the suggested amount of AM serum, all over your face and neck and you are done!